Thursday, June 2, 2011

Music Matters Day 1 with Charles J Tan

After catching Typewriter just moments ago and having an interview with the friendly chaps, it was going to be a switch up of pace to catching singer-songwriter Charles J Tan at Yello Jello next. You may ask - I don't think I've heard Charles J Tan before? Is he local? Oh yes you can definitely bet he's as homegrown Singaporean as the next man on the street.

To better put things in perspective, Charles was born and bred in Singapore but has since made the leap to green pastures in Australia. He has released his works ever since 08' and filled the shoes of being a producer, performer and manager. Before he gained the recognition that many accords him currently, he first started out by working his way throughout Australia's indie music scene without the natural support of a label or an agent. Charles tells of how he made his breakthrough in 09' when his breakthrough came in the form of Australia's prestigious Storytellers competition. For those of you not in the know, Storytellers is a Melbourne-wide singer/songwriter and this success proved to be a sign for better times for Charles as he scored again the next year with a spot in top50 Acoustic/Singer-Songwriter category in the MusicOz Independent Music Awards.






I managed to get Charles during the first day where he took to pure acoustic guitar playing with a supporting cajon player. With his trusty hat and ukelele, Charles was pretty distinguishable and during the introduction and shaking of his hand, Charles came across as someone down-to-earth and warm at the same time. Does it just run in the Aussies or what? During the set, I'm not afraid to admit that Charles' earnest performance evoked memories of glimpses down memory lane. A combination of nomadic folk style acoustic guitar playing littered with thoughtful lyrics was the way Charles rolled and by the end of the set, I can surely say I cannot wait for the next 2 days as he would be playing alongside a complete band line-up on an electric guitar.



As of now, Charles has just finished touring Singapore and Malaysia, playing up to a whopping 40 shows. If you've taken to Charles's singing and playing during his short 3 day stint at the Music Matters already, good for you. You'll be glad to know that he has released "The Pelham Sessions" which also includes a rhythm section of Grant Miles on drums and Ritchie Wong on bass. He has kindly allowed me to film his playing and upload it. Do click on the videos and continue to read on with the interview I had with Charles.




Hi Charles, would you tell us about yourself?

Charles: I'm a singer-songwriter based in Melbourne, Australia but I grew up in Singapore.

Would you say your career took off while in Singapore or in Australia?

Charles: I would say its half and half. I had a band in Singapore many years ago in Singapore and that was where I first started writing. I started writing for about 5 years before I left and most of the stuff released currently are based off that with the exception of one song that was from FIFTEEN years ago.

Wow thats a relic man!

C
Charles: (Laughing heartily) Oh yes!

Would say you're trying to aim for a particular kind of sound?

Charles: I think for me, I've always done and written what is true from my heart. And I think that's what every singer-songwriter would do anyway! (Laughs) And I think that's cool because everyone writes differently and have very different experiences. Your sense of rhythm and melodies would be very different.

What tips would you give to fellow singer-songwriters who wish to follow in your footsteps and get to the stage you are at now?

Charles: Wow! I would say take it one step at a time and just keep practising. Whether its writing or just wanting to be a good guitar player, you need to go with what you want. Be the best guitar player or singer-songwriter? As for me, I've always focused on song writing. I've got like books and books of half-written songs and poetic lines. I'm always writing and I see that as practice. It can get very frustrating when you've gone through like 5 months of half baked songs and you feel like you have to push them out. In fact you don't have to because its just practice and sometimes some of these half baked songs can merge and become a new song on its own. My point is don't get too stressed over it.

Where do you get your inspiration from for your lyrics?

Charles: Its really strange cos' I grew up reading a lot of Shakespeare (and breaks into a laugh immediately). I'm a big literature fan. I was quite into the English language itself and I think a lot of it is taken from pop culture and magazines as well. It's not always from books but also from conversations as well. I blog a lot as well so that has been my canvass.

Interesting there! You actually with a trio?

Charles: Yes on the album back in Melbourne. The album is called "The Pelham Sessions" and has 8 songs, which I call it an EP. They were all recorded in the warehouse where I lived for in the last 2 years and its on Pelham St and thats why the naming. It's a unique space because its an old abandoned warehouse which has been converted into an apartment and its very rustic and Victorian. It's very big-spaced and high ceiling and the living room was big enough to be our jam room so for months and months, that was where most of our arrangement came together. We tracked the entire album except for one in that place. It was a time capsule in which we made music together and whether we continue to play together after that is a different matter altogether. The actual lineup was much bigger like a 6 piece band.

Oh so how did it become a trio eventually?

Charles: The saxophone player was in university and was affecting his work and he had to take a step back. With the saxophone player not around, the other instruments felt out of place - it's either you have or you don't. We thought to do away with the horns section and just focus on the basics. See what happens from there. It was very interesting because there was so much more space - it was just a different vibe together. That gave me room to develop to what it is today.

How is the music scene different in Australia?

Charles: Oh say for the Storytellers competition is run every 4 months or 6 months (if I recall correctly) and its almost like a singer-songwriter's version of Idol. The Storytellers is one of those competitions run by industry people who are not your idea of hobbyists, they actually make money from running shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment